Tuesday 8 March 2011

#1 Pan's Labyrinth

Time to get started then.



I watched this with a friend of mine after having postponed watching it for the longest time. Why did I postpone it? Simply put, the language. Pan's Labyrinth (also called El laberinto del fauno) is a Spanish spoken film and I usually don't like movies in a foreign language.

Pan's Labyrinth is a pretty good, yet probably rather unknown, fantasy film. It wasn't quite what I expected as I thought it would contain much more fantasy elements, instead it also features a a period in Spain set five years after the Spanish Civil War.
The movie combines the storyline of a Fascist captain fighting Spanish Maquis and of his stepdaughter Ofelia who meets several magical creatures. One should note though that the whole film has a somewhat darker setting and that it's not just some happy go lucky movie.

All in all Pan's Labyrinth was a decent movie and I'd recommend it if you're a fan of the fantasy genre. If not, you best stay away from it because it'll probably not meet your demands.

Now I'm off to watch the Greek (TV Series) series finale. Another blogpost coming soon with what I thought of it.

Signed,
T.

6 comments:

  1. Will definitely NOT watch it then :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really think the movie is one of the worst i have ever seen..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i stayed away from this movie for a while because of the language as well, but when i finally did watch it i enjoyed it a lot. even went back and watched a second time.
    if you don't mind foreign languages, watch Ip Man. best kung fu movie ever.
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kung fu movies! I'll definitely check it out when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this movie a lot, Guillermo always does a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this movie was rather good, considering i speak Spanish i guess that's just an additional bonus!

    ReplyDelete